Re: BestBuy SUSE MixUp?

On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 07:06:17PM -0500, Colburn wrote:
> Was just looking for a local retail source for SUSE 9.0
>
> The folks at BestBuy have a link to Operating Systems and when one
> chooses Windows Alternatives one gets this:
> http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=cat16089&type=category&cmp=
>
> Very strange that they show SUSE 9 but list only RedHat and that as sold
> out.
>
> One would presume that SUSE is paying for the feature ad of their
> product, wonder if they know that BestBuy doesn't offer it for sale?
>
> 73, doc kd4e
---end quoted text---

I installed SUSE 8.2 on my dual xeon box, but Sax2 would not run and I
could not setup my hardware.

Furthermore, according to the SUSE site they do not support multiple
processors although the smp kernel is included.

No problem installing Shrike on this box, it detected my hardware and in
my opinion has much better hardware support than SUSE.

SUSE is a waste of money, and they do not provide iso images!  They
want you to buy the unfinished broken product.

Even with RedHat's back-porting, it's still the best alternative out
there.  I don't want to spend weeks or months working on the OS!

SUSE 9.0 may be different, but I was ripped off one time and that's
enough for me.

On the other hand, the SUSE console interface "looked" good and RedHat
has also produced a lot of broken releases in the past.  This should
be stopped because the typical Linux user will not put up with it.

Out of the RH releases I actually purchased, 4.2 seemed ahead of it's
time, 5.0 was a disaster, and 9.0 is ok but not what I expected.  X is
still a clumsy slow interface compared to OSX or XP and Linux (even
with true type fonts) the fonts look screwed -- just take a look at
the screen shots in the Linux Journal if you don't belive me.

I expect more from Commercial Linux distributors.

jay