Re: (no subject)

Xiaonan Lu wrote:

shane: I am a little confused. Do you mean that I use the old entry in lilo.conf but change the label? for example: change vmlinuz-2.4.20-8(the one I have before my compiling) to vmlinuz-2.4.20-9(the one I get after my compiling the kernel), and do the same to System.map, then run lilo? What is result of lilo, will it change something in /boot? for example, will it change config-x.xx.xx? At present time, I found that the config file in /boot is out of date comparing to my vmlinuz. For the '*', do you mean that it will come up in lilo.conf? I am sorry I don't take my machine with me right now and I can't practice it right now. So I just want to get more detail .

thanks

ping

yes.

it is a good idea to copy the old entry, and then modify it. that way you have the valid entry to fall back on if the new kernel doesn't boot.

as far as i know, running

# lilo

will just register the change you made to /etc/lilo.conf so that the bootloader will now know which kernel to boot.

for the '*' it will not appear in /etc/lilo.conf. it is generated in the output when you run

# lilo

you will see the entries scroll up the screen, and the new additions will have the '*' next to them.
--

regards,

shane