Re: TeX & LaTeX

On Fri, 2003-11-21 at 08:56, Lukasz D. wrote:

> Is there under Linux a good editor integrated with compiler and viewer for
> writing and compiling TeX's files and viewing them as, for instance, DVI ?
>  - something like WinEdt with MikTeX under Windows - in WinEdt one can
> compile and view (as DVI) TeX files only by pressing one button.

Although I do much less writing in (La)TeX now then I used to, I am
fairly sure that nothing comes close to AUCTeX:

http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/

AUCTeX is a package for (X)Emacs - it is not distributed with Emacs but
can be downloaded as an RPM from the above, a slightly older version is
distributed with Xemacs. When used in conjunction with Emacs' RefTeX and
BibTeX modes it provides the most powerful (La)TeX environment I have
ever used - it far exceeds WinEdt in functionality.

Naturally, there is the Emacs learning curve to overcome, and you'll
need to edit your .emacs file to really set things up properly, but the
result really is worth it. If you want more help, e.g. the relevant
parts of my .emacs, then let me know.

Best, Darren