Re: mount -t smbfs to be read/write to all users & not only root

On Wed, 2003-11-19 at 11:20, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
[snip]
> sudo mount -t smbfs -o username=xxx,pasword=xxx //servername/sharename
> /mnt/share
>
> Problem here is.. I can't get group or world writeable permission on the
> share. It's a NTFS share but that is not a problem. I can write/read fine
> using root.
[snip]

from `man mount`:
Mount options for smbfs
       Just  like  nfs,  the  smb  implementation expects a binary
argument (a struct smb_mount_data) to the mount system call. This
argument is  constructed  by  smbmount(8)  and the current version of
mount (2.9w) does not know anything about smb.

so I followed that to `man smbmount`:
       uid=<arg>
              sets  the uid that will own all files on the mounted
filesystem.  It may be specified as either a username or a numeric uid.
       gid=<arg>
              sets the gid that will own all files on the mounted
filesystem.  It may be specified as either a groupname or a numeric gid.

so therefore:
sudo mount -t smbfs -o username=xxx,pasword=xxx,uid=iain,gid=niceppl //servername/sharename /mnt/share

HTH,
--
Iain Buchanan <iain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Langsam's Laws: