Re: NIS Problem

On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 01:39:45PM +0800, Philip Mores wrote:
> Does anyone of you successfully implemented NIS using Redhat 9? I'm having a
> problem and I'm already frustrated solving the problem.
>
> I'm using the default RPMs of Redhat 9 needed for NIS server and client such
> as ypserv-2.6-2, ypbind-1.11-4 etc.
>
> I've already finished setting-up the NIS server and the client.  When I'm
> trying to connect the client during startup, this error occurred:
>
> Listening for an NIS domain server ..... [FAILED]. I logged to the
> workstation as root and tried restarting the ypbind service but this error
> appeared: ypbind failed. The error was: Binding to the NIS domain: [OK]
> Listening for an NIS domain server [FAILED].
>
> When i logged to the client as root and run 'ypbind -debug', this error
> occurred:

I have the following concerns about your set up:
do you have a NISDOMAIN setup in the /etc/sysconfig/network files of
the client and server. NISDOMAINs are case sensitive so the domain
cs.rice.edu is not the same as CS.Rice.Edu and so on.

What does your yp.conf and yserv.conf files look like? Have you
configured the Makefile in /var/yp on the server and run make?

Maybe you know about all this. But your error messages seem to
indicate there is a resolution problem in reaching the server of the
NISDOMAIN.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University