Re: Cannot access USB printer port for HP OfficeJet V40 - no such device

i think there might be some info for you on the linuxprinting.org site...

you can pick your printer type on:
http://www.linuxprinting.org/printer_list.cgi
or
http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_driver.cgi?driver=hpijs&fromprinter=HP-DeskJet_6122

http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-OfficeJet_V40
mentions hpijs

the presentation is a bit confusing as they
they sorta walk you through stuff - and tell you what ptal is (I can't
find that link right now -- but i imagein a google or yahoo'd do that
for you)

For office jets, since they are what is termed *multi-purpose* you need
more than just hpijs...) tho ptal is not mentioned for your V40 (on the
linuxprinting.org page above, if you click around you wmight find the good
page that explains what ptal is)

http://hpoj.sourceforge.net/ is about office jets.

for people with *single function* printers,hp provides hpijs and patches
off:
http://hpinkjet.sourceforge.net/install.php

or you can go the the HP site and have a live chat with an HP tech -- and
get a direct pointer there (at least sometimes you can)

hope this helps