Re: Why use Red Hat's kernels?

Steven W. Orr wrote:

Take a look at your SOURCES directory after installing kernel-sources. There'a a *lot* of patchwork there that you just don't get with a stock kernel. I long ago gave up running stock kernels.

Every now and again the stock kernel gets hardware support -- the mainboard on my PC at home, the B4400 on this machine (and indeed, the IDE controller for the original RH9 kernel). Sometimes it makes sense to go with the stock kernel.

The main thing you lose out on is NPTL and the low-latency schedular -- the RH9 kernel is a bit snappier than the stock kernel and for anything seriously multi-threaded (e.g. java) it's a whole lot better.

jch