Re: Why use Red Hat's kernels?

shane c branch wrote:

o build my own kernels, but since moving to rh9 i have been confounded by the initrd.img. i can't seem to get that portion of the build to work, so my stock kernels don't boot.

i haven't had much luck with building the initrd.img manually, either.

If I build a kernel specifically for my machine I just compile the ide + harddisk drivers statically so it can mount the root partition without an initrd. Saves a bit of effort.

Klaasjan