Re: fedora gets poor reviews

At 23:34 11/12/2003, you wrote:
This is sad.  No more Redhat Linux, outside of the enterprise version, and
here is the first release of fedora getting poor reviews:
Where to turn?

Contrary to some people's knee-jerk reactions, this reviewer does not seem to me to be an idiot nor technically incompetent. She got the thing installed, knew enough to compile some things from source (which I don't do), knew her version numbers and appreciated some good things. She was also aware of some changes from RH9 and recognized some leftover bugs from the betas, which she had obviously used. She even went to the trouble of filing a Samba bug. Writing her off as a bitch or an idiot is self-delusion, people... she is a *USER*, and one with a megaphone for her opinions at that. Treat her as such... she can help or hurt RHL/Fedora/etc. with her writing, and I'd rather see her converted and helping.

That being said, she did cause some of her own messes by mixing source and RPM packages and expecting things to go smoothly. So I am not defending the article as being gorgeous or perfect... but there is certainly valid basis for several (even for many) of her critiques to Fedora and RHL before it.

The Fedora community (and Red Hat, Inc. since this is relevant for other products in which they participate as well) would do well to carefully note what her critiques are, investigate any which have technical merit (and I saw several that unquestionably do), and ADDRESS THE ISSUES instead of ducking heads into sand.

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx