Re: where to append path

Jesse Keating wrote:
On Tuesday 11 November 2003 14:06, shane c branch wrote:

as i understand it, if one wants to make system wide enviroment
changes, then he should edit /etc/profile on a red hat system.

i have installed a JRE, but it requires i make this change manually,
and i examined /etc/profile, but it is not clear to me where i should
add the path to the JRE.

could someone clear this up, please? i checked google, but what it
came up with didn't look like what i see on my machine. no PATH=
statement.

Make your own file in /etc/profile.d/

Name it "java.sh" or something similar.

Content would be:

JAVA_HOME=/path/to/java
PATH=$PATH:$JAVA_HOME/bin
export JAVA_HOME PATH

thank you. i tired that, is there something i need to stop/restart to make it take effect? i logged out and back in, but my open office installation does not detect it when i run the install script. nor did it detect it when i manually pointed it to the installation site as per the instructions in the documentation:
/opt/IBMJava2-141/jre/bin

how can i be sure it's working?

--

regards,