Strange Problem on Hard DriveSpace

Hey,
I was writing a C code in which my program was counting from 1 to 50000. Surprisingly there was lot of space on my hard drive /dev/hda2 on which linux is mounted.
Before the program was running I did df -h and it showed me 92% was in use and therefore 8% empty. The partition size is 11 GB.
When I ran the program the entire space got filled up and in the /var/log/messages it was saying " client unable to flush"
I am really not able to understand how the disk space got filled for the program is very simple and uses an array from size 1 to size 50000.
I checked .gconf file But I dont know how to free my space. What filled up and where from?

Any help will be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Kid