Re: how to verify the MD5SUM file

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, kent emia wrote:

> hi to all...
>
> i have a copy of rh9 and i made an iso out of it, verifying the md5sum
> of the iso differs from the redhat site.. how can i search for that
> "fingerprint" with all of the mirror sites of redhat.
>
> the cd's are working fine and also for the iso images if burned are also
> fine..
>
> is there any way to do a verification of the iso images which i just
> copied and burned..

    Since nobody said how you can verify your iso images, I'll give an
answer you may find unsatisfactory.
    If your md5sums differ from the ones given on the redhat site, that
means the isos differ from the ones given on the redhat site.  Maybe
the difference is irrelevant, maybe it is vital.
    You can separately check the md5sums of all the rpms in your images.
For example, to verify the rpms in the iso images, make directories
called, say, image1, image2, image3.  Then mount the three iso's with
mountpoints on the directories.  For example,
 mount -o loop shrike-i386-disc1.iso image1
Then check all the .rpm files in the images with, say,
 find ./image* -name "*.rpm" -exec rpm -K {} \;
If you're running, say, RH7.2, I assume you have the RedHat public key in
your gpg public ring.  If not, use "... -exec rpm -K --nogpg ...".
If you're running RH9, I assume you imported the key with rpm.  If you
haven't imported the key I think you can avoid complaints about gpg by
using "...-exec rpm -K --nosignature ...".

--
Steven Yellin