Re: Off-topic: 3ware mirror rebuild time

On Sat, 1 Nov 2003, Jesse Keating wrote:

> On Saturday 01 November 2003 12:41, Mike Burger wrote:
> > Anyone using a 3Ware RAID controller, who can give me an idea how log
> > it's supposed to take to rebuild a mirror?  I've only got about 9.5GB of
> > data, plus a 2GB swap, on a pair of 80GB drives, and it just seems to be
> > taking a lot longer than I would have thought it should.
>
> How large are the disks?  AFAIK a rebuild doesn't take into effect the size
> of the data, just the disks themselves.  A raid 5 build takes 90 minutes
> on 250gig disks.

A pair of 80GB disks, in a RAID1 config (just mirroring).

> Plus, if you're rebuilding while the OS is running, only a certain
> percentage of the system resources are used for rebuilding.  By default I
> think it's only 30% of the cards resources are used.

I did have the OS running...I guess that's what was taking so long.

Thanks...my first time around with these guys, and it's on a 5400 card.
--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS
telnet://dogpound2.citadel.org or http://dogpound2.citadel.org:2000

To be notified of updates to the web site, visit
message to:

site-update-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

with a message of:

subscribe