Re: installing two linux operating systems

> Am Fr, den 31.10.2003 schrieb Globe Trotter um 19:17:
> > have my home directory on /usr/local/ and have RH9 installed on /.
>
> wondering about that. Perhaps your /home directory is on a separate
> partition? Have a look at /etc/fstab which shows you which partitions
> are used.

Thanks! Here is my /etc/fstab

LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
LABEL=/1                /1                      ext3    defaults        1 2
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
LABEL=/usr/local        /usr/local              ext3    defaults        1 2
/dev/hde2               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              udf,iso9660
noauto,owner,kudzu,r
o 0 0
/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             auto    noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0
/dev/cdrom1             /mnt/cdrom1             udf,iso9660
noauto,owner,kudzu,r
o 0 0

Note that the /1 is for situations such as what I want (namely to install
another operating system).

> > I would like
> > to try out two new OS's -- Fedora and SuSE9.0 -- but not throw out the RH9.
> How
> > do I go about doing this?
>
> It's quite easy and straightforward.  I suppose your harddisk is
> currently used by RH9 in toto. Basically you have to resize one or
> several of the existing partitions. You need about 3.5-4 gb for a test
> installation of Fedora, 4-4.5 gb for SuSE. During a standard
> installation of Fedora or SuSE you choose one of these gaps for the
> installation. After Installation you have to adjust the bootloader
> configuration manually to be able to choose which system to boot.

So, during installation, when it asks for / to be put in, I offer that other /1
directory? Is that right? I am unclear about what needs to be done to the
bootloader.

> For a detailed advice we need more information: size of the harddisk(s),
> content of /etc/fstab, output of "df", output of "/sbin/fdisk /dev/hda"
> (and hdb for a second harddisk) (commandline as root), option p (exit
> the program using "q"!). Just in case you can read German I can provide
> you with a link to a detailed description.

df gives the following:

/dev/hde5              4031656   2213064   1613796  58% /
/dev/hde1              4232952     32828   3985096   1% /1
none                   1034352         0   1034352   0% /dev/shm
/dev/hde6            103051152  22842268  74974168  24% /usr/local

root]# /sbin/fdisk /dev/hde

The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 232514.
There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,
and could in certain setups cause problems with:
1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., old versions of LILO)
2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
   (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)

root]# /sbin/fdisk /dev/hdg

The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 232514.
There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,
and could in certain setups cause problems with:
1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., old versions of LILO)
2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
   (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)

Thanks! Sorry mein not sprechen Deutsche...