Re: gaim & MSN

On 29 Oct 2003, H M Kunzmann wrote:

> What you've told me is that the apt rpm's DO work and that my problem is
> obviously one of a specific configuration.
>
> Do you know if gaim ssl uses a different port ? If so, what port is it ?
> I reside behind pretty heavy firewalls, maybe that is the problem.

Heavy firewalls are pretty often the reason for such breakage. As far as I
know, msn works over port 1863 to messenger.hotmail.com, so try conencting
via telnet to this port

[achitnis@wookie] ~# telnet messenger.hotmail.com 1863
Trying 207.46.104.20...
Connected to messenger.hotmail.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
^]
telnet> close
Connection closed.

If that fails, then you clearly won't be able to connect directly, and
your sysadmins are probably blocking MSN traffic.

If you have an http proxy handy, you can try configuring gaim to use that
proxy (if you dont have a proxy at hand, try http://www.findproxy.com for
one), by opening the

Tools>Accounts>(Your MSN Account)>Show More Options>Proxy Options

and selecting HTTP proxy options. That *may* work.

Tschuess!

Atul

--
Linux Bangalore/2003 - India's biggest Open Source event
December 2-4, Bangalore, India