Re: DLINK DWL 650

On Mon, 2003-10-27 at 02:06, Sh@len wrote:
> Hey There,
> Anyone ever tried using DLINK WIRELESS CARD 802.11b
> DWL 650 with RED HAT 9?
> It does not work. What the heck? It should have linux
> support. But on their site these DLINK People dont
> show the support for linux.
> http://support.dlink.com/Products/view.asp?productid=DWL-650L1
>
> SO what to do/? Do I have to buy a new card ? Which
> one? Help me
> Thanks
> Student

I heard a very interesting explanation for DLink's non-support for Linux
on some of their WiFi products. In my case it's a DWL-A650 card they
don't support.

It seems some of their chipsets are completely programmable in terms of
power and frequency, and over quite a wide range. While they will
cheerfully offer closed Windows driver binaries, they reportedly have
strict agreements with their chip suppliers not to publish anything in
open source that will allow end users to hack together something that
might abuse the frequency allocations. It simply would not do, for
example, for Orville Overclocker to cause interference on neighboring
police or fire frequencies.

If you want to stick with 802.11b, then I would recommend you sell your
DLink card to a Windows user and buy an Orinoco Gold card. Mine works
perfectly with RH9.

--Doc Savage
  Fairview Heights, IL