re: cd mount issues

I just posted about an issue with my cd drives.
Sorry to repost so immediately, but I feel as though I may have misrepersented the problem, and further information has come to light in my foggy brain.
To recap-I have two drives, a phillips cd burner, which won't mount media upon insertion, and a regular old cdrom drive.
The cdrom drive is mounting media upon insertion although it takes several minutes to respond and mount.  Then, once mounted it won't unmount (when I tell it to unmount, it automatically remounts) and the cd drive will not open and allow me to remove the media in question, unless I reboot..
I thought it significant to add that.

This is all rather disconcerting, as I do photography and have my prints scanned to cd at the printers.  So, I'll get ten rolls of film back, with 10 CDs full of images and have to reboot 10 times in order to get the images I want onto the computer.  Otherwise, of course, running so stable an OS, I would never have to reboot and would have very long uptimes of which I could boast to my windows using friends...

Again, as always, any assistance is deeply appreciated and if further information is required to assist me in diagnosing the issue I will be glad to supply it.

thanks
tony b

---
School-library.net