Re: usb memory key

On Friday October 24, 2003 "William Burgos" <wburgos@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I can I mount a usb memory key?
>
> Do I need some drivers or are these already in RH9

William,

As root I make a /mnt/thumb mount point, then add the following line to
/etc/fstab:

     /dev/sda  /mnt/thumb  vfat  noauto,user  0 0

Mine is a Sony 256MB Microvault USB 2.0. I call it a "thumb drive", hence
the naming of my mount point. For reasons I'm not at all clear about, it
mounts as a simple SCSI device without partitions -- just /dev/sda.  Once
you mount it (as yourself, not root), you can begin using it immediately
without formatting or any other preparation.  It's a great way to share
files between dissimilar computers. Everything understands VFAT.

Be sure to 'umount /mnt/thumb' before disconnecting yours from the USB port.

Hope this helps.

--Doc Savage
  Fairview Heights, IL