Redhat, ACPI & HP Paviliion ze 5400

I'm trying to have the ACPI patch compiled with a RH kernel.

I've tried to compile a baseline 2.4.22 kernel with appropriate ACPI
patch. It does not compile correctly.

I've tried to compile a baseline 2.4.20 kernel with appropriate ACPI
patch. It compiles but my system hangs at boot time (HP Pavillion ze
5400).

I collected kernel sources from www.kernel.org and ACPI patch from
http://acpi.sourceforge.net/index.html.

A/ I would like to know if somebody actually succeeded in compiling and
using  a ACPI-patched linux kernel with a RH distro. If yes, where
exactly did you get the kernel sources and the ACPI patch (file names
would be appreciated).

B/ I would like to know if somebody put at work an HP Pavillion (ze
5400) with a standard RH distro, keudzu and pcmcia working. I manged to
have RH 9.0 working, but pcmcia and kudzu services not started.
Therefore, I cannot plug a Wireless pcmcia card...

C/ Will RH 10 offer better labtop support ?

I would hate going back to Windows but I may be constraint to do so ....