Re: Optimizing Red Hat Linux

Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:

At 21:19 10/22/2003, you wrote:

On Wednesday 22 October 2003 20:21, Joe uttered:
> in /etc/fstab
> -------------------
> mount all systems noatime
> mount filesystems other than /boot /root with data=writeback

Beware, some of these settings can lead to data loss if power is lost.

Jesse, could you be a little more specific? What is the risk, what could trigger it, and so on? I assume that you speak only of the two settings you quoted; can you give us a little more detail?

I think he means only the writeback setting, noatime is competely safe. The filesystem will be a little more relaxed about keeping things in sync - but in most cases, the danger of data loss is pretty damn low. noatime is a good one because most computers don't have any need to track file access time - and it cuts down on the amount of work the system has to do if you just turn that off - You will still record modification times and that's the important thing to keep track of.

Also, may I presume by this that you see no objection to the rest of the settings? I have a couple of questions on those:

1. What is "asynchronous logging" as mentioned for syslog.conf?

It seems that syslog wants to log synchronously by default - it may not have much effect in some environments, but if you have a lot of things going on that get logged, it can hog a lot of time constantly writing the the disk. In our mail server environment, setting logging to asynchronous reduced the load average by a 1or so during peak loads.

You can prepend the logfile names with "-" to make them synchronous, once syslogd is restarted.

2. What the heck are those tcp_* settings in sysctl.conf?

They just turn off some of the tcp/ip bells and whistles, and/or put reasonable limits on some things - and I've not seen a downside in daily use. You'll notice that the big boys do things like that when they are tuning systems to run network benchmarks...

Joe