Re: Routing Table Problem

Sorry for the delay in responding to this. I've figured out my problem (strictly by accident) but don't understand the solution fully yet. I can internet now, wirelessly, and I'm very pleased about it! Especially because I used the Linux drivers from Luis Rodriguez

( http://ruslug.rutgers.edu/~mcgrof/802.11g/ )

and did a kernel compile that involved using the Fedora Core 2097 kernel in my Red Hat 9 laptop. (I know...it's a beta kernel...I'm impatient.) All this for my SMC 802.11g card.

I knew my problems were of a networking nature, the driver stuff works just great so I was suffering from networking problems I don't quite understand. What fixed my problems were

first - I set /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 to

onboot=no

In an attempt to disable bringing up eth0. However, the GATEWAY ip address for this continued to show up after booting, and I was getting frustrated trying to delete it and reset the kernel routing table to a new gateway. I was thinking that the gateway information from the DHCP server needs to get to the initscript for networking (/etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S10network.) However PCMCIA was being brought up after the network script executed, and the card didn't start making DHCP calls until after the network script executed, too.

So I changed the order in which some of the init scripts execute. Specifically, I wanted

/etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S24pcmcia to execute before

/etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S10network

so I created a new symlink named

/etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S09pcmcia.

Likewise, I have a homemade initscript that initializes the SSID of my wireless card, and sets WEP stuff as well, and I thought this should also execute right after S09pcmcia. So I created a symlink pointing to the script named /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S09wlan-54g.

If my thinking is correct, this would force the drivers to load for the network card.

The S09wlan-54g script would then initialize the wireless SSID and the card would start making DHCPREQUESTs. The S10network script would accept the gateway IP address from the DHCP server and set this value properly in the routing table.

I probably don't have the sequence exactly correct, but it works! In the next few days I will study these scripts closely to try and understand them better and refine the process for getting onto a wireless network.

And yes, I was cruising along at whatever connection speed T-mobile will provide me with. Pity I had to leave the coffee shop.

Bob

Ow Mun Heng wrote:

how do the experienced wireless folks deal with this? When I'm home, I want to plug the notebook into my wired network (eth0). When I'm on the road, I want to just slide the wireless card in and connect to the internet without too much fuss and bother with scripts.

I'm not experienced.. but hope it helps..

1st. I'm not sure if your SMC is detected by your install by default (I use
RH9 with netgear MA401RA - orinoco drivers) What I do is to create different
profiles for the different configs. If you use redhat-config-network and
click on the help button, you will learn about profiles.

But, the routing table still reflected the gateway address for eth0. So I need to get rid of that gateway address and substitute the one that eth1 got from the dhcp server.

Hmm.. I've never had this problem in a sense. Mine just boots up, detects
the network to connect to, request for IP and then I'm in! So.. I'm not sure
about your problem. Maybe you have to provide more details??

Cheers,                                                 .^.
Mun Heng, Ow                                            /V\
H/M Engineering                                       /(   )\
Western Digital M'sia                                  ^^-^^
DID : 03-7870 5168                          The Linux Advocate

-----Original Message----- From: Robert L Cochran [mailto:cochranb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] Sent: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 10:15 AM To: shrike-list@xxxxxxxxxx Subject: Routing Table Problem

I've kept working on learning how to use the Intersil chipset driver for my SMC 54 MBps wireless network card for my laptop, and tonight I got "almost" connected to the internet with it. I think my problem is changing the default gateway in the routing table.

The laptop has 2 PCMCIA network cards installed.

eth0 -- is a "wired" PCMCIA card.
eth1 -- is the SMC wireless PCMCIA card.

I went to a T-Mobile Hotspot, booted up, spent some time fiddling with networking and card configuration scripts, then was thrilled to see the link light on my wireless card glow steadily! 'ifconfig' confirmed the wireless card got an ip address.

But, the routing table still reflected the gateway address for eth0. So I need to get rid of that gateway address and substitute the one that eth1 got from the dhcp server.

Now for my question -- how do the experienced wireless folks deal with this? When I'm home, I want to plug the notebook into my wired network (eth0). When I'm on the road, I want to just slide the wireless card in and connect to the internet without too much fuss and bother with scripts.

-- Bob Cochran Greenbelt, Maryland, USA http://greenbeltcomputer.biz/