mysql not working after up2date -

Yesterday morning I tried to do up2date on the mysql server and client and now I can't run mysql at all.
Running up2date on my dial up connection is uncertain at best and requires several attempts, It worked well on my
cable connection but that luxury is not available at this new location.

[root@localhost root]# mysql
ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (111)

I'm not sure what this error message means but the mysql.sock file appears to be empty?

# ls -l /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
srwxrwxrwx 1 mysql mysql 0 Oct 20 13:49 /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

And I'm not sure what the status message is telling me. What subsys is locked? Where do I look?

[root@localhost root]# service mysqld status
mysqld dead but subsys locked

Mysql was working before I messed with it but I don't know what I did. I removed the RPM's and whatever dependencies it protested about and reinstalled it via Synaptic but the result is unchanged.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks..

Bob Goodwin