Re: Directory confusion

Vladimir G. Ivanovic wrote:
This puzzles me:

   $ ls -lA tmp/junk/DistJava
   ls: tmp/junk/DistJava: No such file or directory
   $ find DistJava -depth -print0 | cpio --null -pdm tmp/jumk

Probably because in first command you look for 'junk' directory and in the second for 'jumk'.

   cpio: tmp/jumk/DistJava/CVS/Root not created: newer or same age
version exists
   cpio: tmp/jumk/DistJava/CVS/Repository not created: newer or same age
version exists
   cpio: tmp/jumk/DistJava/CVS/Entries not created: newer or same age
version exists
   cpio: tmp/jumk/DistJava/CVS/Entries.Static not created: newer or same
age version exists
   cpio: tmp/jumk/DistJava/CORBA/JacORB Report.ps not created: newer or
same age version exists
   cpio: tmp/jumk/DistJava/CORBA/JacORB.pdf not created: newer or same
age version exists
   [...]

Probably because in first command you look for 'junk' directory and in the second for 'jumk'.

What is going on here? "ls -lA" tells me the target directory is doesn't
even exist, but cpio complains that it (and previously copied files)
exist. After the command completes, tmp/junk/DistJava exists (but I
didn't think to check if it had anything in it.)

I got to this, for me, strange state because I've been fooling around
timing tar, cpio and cp (DistJava is just some directory):

"cp -a" is fastest (no surprise here), so I went to check and see if
they do the same thing wrt symbolic links. So I re-ran the tests, but
after a run, I renamed the target directory

mv tmp/junk/DistJava tmp/junk/DistJava0

I did something similar, but ending up with DistJava1 instead. Then I
removed (rm -rf) both DistJava0 and DistJava1 and ran the cpio-based
copy above. It's then that I got the unexpected "already exists" error.

Here's another curiosity:

   $ ls -lA tmp/jumk/
   total 4
   drwxrwxr-x   19 vladimir vladimir     4096 Aug  9  2002 DistJava/
   $ rm -rf tmp/jumk/DistJava
   $ find DistJava -depth -print0 | cpio --null -pdm tmp/jumk
   252322 blocks
   $ ls -lA tmp/jumk/
   total 4
   drwxrwxr-x   19 vladimir vladimir     4096 Aug  9  2002 DistJava/
   $ mv tmp/jumk/DistJava  tmp/jumk/DistJava0
   $ find DistJava -depth -print0 | cpio --null -pdm tmp/jumk
   252322 blocks
   $ mv tmp/jumk/DistJava  tmp/jumk/DistJava1
   $ ls -lA tmp/junk
   total 0

All the directories in "tmp/junk" disappear; I expected to find
DistJava0 and DistJava1.

Is there some arcane corner of Unix that I've been in ignorance of all
these years, or is this a bug?

(BTW, tmp/junk is a single EXT3 file system on an IDE drive.)

Thanks.

--- Vladimir

Vladimir G. Ivanovic                        http://leonora.org/~vladimir
2770 Cowper St.                                         vladimir@xxxxxxx
Palo Alto, CA 94306-2447                                 +1 650 678 8014