Re: Another Logwatch mystery

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003, Aaron Konstam wrote:

> Below is a snipit from the LogWatch. I connect sucessfully throush ppp
> from my home machine. The connection succeeds and then I ssh to this
> machine which succeeds/ One would supect there is something wrong with
> the process but I can't find what it is. Are there any suggestions out
> there?
>
> ppp:
>    Unknown Entries:
>       session opened for user akonstam by a_ppp(uid=0): 2 Time(s)
>       session closed for user akonstam: 2 Time(s)

I don't see anything wrong, above...it's just saying that you've
connected, via PPP, twice.

> sshd:
>    Authentication Failures:
>       akonstam (saturn.cs.trinity.edu ): 2 Time(s)

This is normal, actually...if you don't have a key pair set up between the
two machines when you SSH in, the remote session will to log an initial
failure before it prompts you for the password and then will log the
successful connection.

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS
telnet://dogpound2.citadel.org or http://dogpound2.citadel.org:2000

To be notified of updates to the web site, visit
message to:

site-update-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

with a message of:

subscribe