Re: Kernel Recompile

I use

make mrproper
(copy the config file I find in /boot as '.config')
make menuconfig
make oldconfig
make dep
make bzImage
make modules

Working with 2.6 kernels is simpler. After 'make oldconfig' just issue 'make' and it takes care of the bzImage and modules targets.

After this you need to install the modules and kernel images, then boot to the new kernel. (You always keep your old kernel(s) around so you can fall back on them if the new kernel dies.

Bob

Zyski, John wrote:

I went through xconfig and modified the kernal with the things i need. How do I get Make to use that result? I use make bzImage, but that asks all the questions over again.

Any help would be appreciated.

-- Bob Cochran Greenbelt, Maryland, USA http://greenbeltcomputer.biz/