Re: security settings for bittorrent?

Bittorrent's download speeds vary from slow to pleasantly fast, and there is a lot of variance. Bittorrent does have periods of sustained high transfer rates and I think it is actually quicker than an FTP connection. The overall transfer rate will probably average out to much better than what an FTP connection will offer.

I used to have a Linksys BEFSR41 box myself and I think these boxes are very limited as routers and tend to slow down your bandwidth. When I replaced my Linksys router with a Linux system functioning as a router and firewall, my transfer speeds went up significantly. I don't know why.

Bob

James Jones wrote:

Hi. I've installed bittorrent, and the Linksys BEFSR41 that my computers sit behind is forwarding ports 6881-6889 to the computer I am running bittorrent on, but the transfer rates still seem awfully slow.
The upload rate is nonzero, which would make me think that the "medium" security setting on the RH 9 computer I am using bittorrent on is not impeding bittorrent, and that I'm just expecting faster downloads than the circumstances of who happens to also be downloading what I want really allow.

Is the port forwarding on the Linksys box all I need do, or do I need to customize the firewall settings on the RH9 computer? If I do need to customize, how do I do that? (The GUI-based utility doesn't show, as far as I can tell, a way to let through requiests on a specific range of ports by number.)

James Jones

-- Bob Cochran Greenbelt, Maryland, USA http://greenbeltcomputer.biz/