Re: Help with TTY permissions

--- Ryan McDougall <mcdougrs@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am really baffled as to why a script of mine won't
> work. I used it with RH
> 8.0 and now when I try it with 9.0 my boot.log shows
> a /dev/tty12 permission
> denied error. I have NO idea why I would be getting
> this. The script is as
> follows:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> #chkconfig: 345 99 99
> Status of the FAH Linux
> cons
> ole client
> source /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions
> FAH="/home/mcdougrs/folding/FAH3Console-Linux.exe"
> cd /home/mcdougrs/folding/ >/dev/tty12
> RETVAL=1
> case "$1" in
>         start)
>                 echo -n "Starting Folding@Home
> client ... "
>                 su mcdougrs -c "$FAH >/dev/tty12 &"
>                 RETVAL=$?
>                 ;;
>         stop)
>                 echo -n "Stopping Folding@Home's
> FAH3Console-Linux.exe ... "
>                 killproc FAH3Console-Linux.exe
>                 RETVAL=$?
>                 ;;
>         restart)
>                 $0 stop
>                 /usr/bin/sleep 1
>                 $0 start
>                 RETVAL=$?
>                 ;;
>         status)
>                 status FAH3Console-Linux.exe
>                 RETVAL=$?
>                 ;;
>         *)
>                 echo "Usage: $0
> {start|stop|restart|status}"
>                 exit 1
>                 ;;
> esac
> exit $RETVAL
>

> Please some guidence on this will be GREATLY
> appreciated,
> Ryan

Not sure whether there's a document outlining this
(rules and guidelines for the list, etc.), but one
thing I tend to avoid when posting to a list is
including too much information about my environment.
I tend to try and avoid posting any content that
includes hostnames, IP addresses, or user names, or
passwords.

What I would tend to do is X out that information, or
replace it with dummy information.

It looks like the posters on here are pretty
responsible, but you never know who else might be
lurking on the list looking for that kind of
information.

Cheers,
Matt