Re: how to use ">"

On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 04:54:28PM +0800, wanjianming wrote:
> I want  to save the man information of "tar" .so I used the command "
> man tar >tar.txt"
> but when I opened the file using "vi tar.txt"
> it can't be read anymore .it looks as following :
> TAR(1)
> TAR(1)
>

> N^HNA^HAM^HME^HE
>       tar - The GNU version of the tar archiving utility
>
> S^HSY^HYN^HNO^HOP^HPS^HSI^HIS^HS
>       t^Hta^Har^Hr  [ -^H- ] A^HA
> -^H--^H-c^Hca^Hat^Hte^Hen^Hna^Hat^Hte^He
> -^H--^H-c^Hco^Hon^Hnc^Hca^Hat^Hte^Hen^Hna^Hat^Hte^He |^H| c^Hc
>
> "
> then how can I get the text in a file.what should I do?
> Thanks
There are various ways to do this , but it looks like this works well
enough to give it a try. Open the file in vi. And while sitting at
line 1 type   :1,$s/^V^H.//g
The ^V and ^H are thew ctrl characters. Then save the file.
It seems to work but I  am
not sure it works at every point in the file.

This probably can be automated using sed or tr.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
715 Stadium Dr.