Re: Cannot play MP3 any more...

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 16:30:34 +0200
"Pekka K. Kurki" <Pekka.Kurki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I used to play MP3 in RH 7.1 with "noatun". Now after RH9 upgrade
> noatun or kaboodle start with the MP3 file but just show the sign
> --:-- in the play window. As to XMMS it starts, runs "too fast" (about
> 2x speed) and brings no sound (yes, I checked the volume...). And
> RealPlayer 8 hangs the X11 completely but that had problems with
> RH7.1, too...
>
> Any ideas?
>
> br
> Pekka

Hello, Everyone :)
   That's funny.  I just had the exact same thing happen to me.  I had
been running Cheapbytes.com's Pink Tie 9, and I had never had any
problems playing mp3's with XMMS.  (Well, after the appropriate xmms-mp3
plugin was installed, anyway :))
   Now, I am actually running Red Hat 9 (instead of "Pink Tie" 9), and
XMMS "plays" mp3's exactly the way Pekka describes.  I tried installing
the current version of XMMS from xmms.org, with the exact same results -
the mp3's are played at lightning speed (2x seems a bit conservative
compared to what I've seen.  My unofficial figures go something like
this: a four minute song takes about 6-10 seconds to play) and with no
sound.
   The only other thing I've tried is installing kdemultimedia-3.1.4
from source code, which gives me all the mp3 support that Red Hat took
out.  The result is that I can now play mp3's (at the normal speed, and
with expected sound quality) with noatun and kaboodle.  Since XMMS isn't
part of KDE, I didn't expect installing kdemultimedia from source code
to fix the XMMS issue, but if I stated my point clearly, at least this
information might help someone with greater insight into these things
than I have :)
   I am running Red Hat 9, full installation (not an upgrade, and I
chose EVERY package).  All of the official updates are installed,
including the kernel.  The only unofficial changes I've made that should
have any bearing on this are installing kdemultimedia-3.1.4 and
kdeadmin-3.1.3 from source code.

Looking forward to the solution to this :)

Steven P. Ulrick