RE: WiFi + web based Login + Sniffer + Security

>>All your questions about this particular username/password combo are
>>related to Yahoo!. How it's hashed, when, etc. are all things dictated by
>>how Yahoo! wrote their web pages. Not being a user of their service, I
>>cannot comment. POP user/pass data should go by in the clear, for example.

I'm a user of Yahoo! service and I'm just a bit nervous.. all these
"what-Ifs"
AS I mentioned, I'm not gonna check my ISP POP mail using wifi. Definately a
No-No.

>>How it's hashed,
That's the thing. How does my PC know which algo to use to hash the
password, if it's client-side processing? I don't believe there's javascript
or something..
Oh well.. Until I know enough, I doubt I'm gonna trust using webmail like
Yahoo.

ANyone know how to encapsulate yahoo mail or any other webmail with SSH?

>>I check mail using webmail over SSL, typically Squirrelmail which is my
>>favorite. That way I know my data goes over the Internet strongly
encrypted.

I take it that its safe cause you implemented it. SInce as the Mini-howto
states, you can run through ssh but need to be certain that the other end
also is running sshd. (which I can't control)

>>Don't worry too much about it... there are no hard-and-fast rules
(although
>> think "short, sweet, and to the point" comes close to being a rule,
IMHO).

Actually I do worry quite a lot.. Since I want to be in the good graces of
the community..

So.. If anyone has an answer to how someone could get the login/pass combo..
do let me know.. (unless it's proven that there is no way..)

Cheers,                                                 .^.
Mun Heng, Ow                                            /V\
H/M Engineering                                       /(   )\
Western Digital M'sia                                  ^^-^^
DID : 03-7870 5168                          The Linux Advocate