RE: WiFi + web based Login + Sniffer + Security

>>If the link is not encrypted, then yes, it is easy to grab a login/pass
>>combo. If the link is encrypted with WEP, first use AirSnort to get the
WEP
>>key, then it's easy to grab a login/pass combo. If you want true security
>>at today's technology, use an SSH tunnel or other VPN over your WiFi
network.

AFAIK / can tell, I can see the username from ethereal capture, but as I
mentioned, the password is hashed or something. So.. basically it's good,
however, the void here is whether it's hashed Before it's sent out
(meaning,client side) or is it hashed after sent out (server-side). Wireless
transmission means that more pringle cans can intercept the signal.

So.. basically, the login name will be visible, and the password will be
hashed. How easy would it be to decode the hash? What sort of algo does it
use to hash it? What stipulates whether it uses MD5/blowfish etc..etc..
(frankly I have no idea, just throwing out some algo I know/heard about)

Can anyone decode the hash? How would they go about it?

SSH tunnel is okay for implementation for my home, but for a public
eg:T-Mobile hotspot, how would one go about it? Don't check pop mail there??

>>Thanks for trimming; much easier this time to write back and much easier

Actually, I thought that cutting and pasting whatever I was replying to was
adequate. So.. I guess it's not.. :)

Cheers,                                                 .^.
Mun Heng, Ow                                            /V\
H/M Engineering                                       /(   )\
Western Digital M'sia                                  ^^-^^
DID : 03-7870 5168                          The Linux Advocate