RE: WiFi + web based Login + Sniffer + Security

>>Check out AirSnort for one. Don't remember the URL but it should be easy

Isn't it that AirSnort is used to determine the WEP encryption password?
What about if WEP is not used? I want to know if it's easy for someone to
capture tranmissions from the air, use it to get a login/pass combo for
things like web-mail.

<snip from airsnort webpage>
AirSnort requires approximately 5-10 million encrypted packets to be
gathered. Once enough packets have been gathered, AirSnort can guess the
encryption password in under a second.
</snip>

>>>What about On-Line banking? They use SSL. How _safe_ is that??
>Very safe if they have it set up right, and most institutions (large/medium

>companies, all banks, etc.) pretty much do have it set up right.

That at least makes me feel safer.. But as for the 1st question, it's still
a question.

Cheers,                                                 .^.
Mun Heng, Ow                                            /V\
H/M Engineering                                       /(   )\
Western Digital M'sia                                  ^^-^^
DID : 03-7870 5168                          The Linux Advocate