Adding memory to box stops boot

I have a box (800 Mhz Duron) running RHL 9 with
up2date up to snuff.  I want to upgrade the memory
to 512 mb.  When I put in the new memory board, It
begins to boot up to the messages:

VFS: Moutned root (ext2 filesystem).

It then hangs.  It is past where you choose the
kernel but before the nicely colored startup
service messages begin.

I have tried both adding a second 256 MB board
and putting in a 512 MB board by itself.  Could there
be something I need to add to the grub.conf file or
some other file to tell Linux that there is more
memory?

The data does not get saved in dmesg or messages as
I end up having to power cycle the machine.  Is there
some other file that may reveal useful clues?

Thanks for any advise.

Robert E. Styma
Principal Engineer (DMTS)
Lucent Technologies, Phoenix