Re: How to check filesystem for curroption

On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 02:09:18PM +0800, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> <snip>
> The only thing I might want to try is to run a badblock check on the
> drive(s) just in case there was some actual physical damage.
> </snip>
>
> And how do you do that???

Boot off a CD or a boot floppy into single user mode and issue:

e2fsck -c /dev/hdxn

where /dev/hdxn is something like /dev/hdc1. "man badblocks" recommends
against running badblocks by itself. The reason why I mention this is
that I had one of my drives start pulling a hissy fit - the system would
hang and I would end up with some data corruption. I first tried changing
the DMA parameters with hdparm but it made no difference. Then I ran a
badblock check and it found two bad blocks and sequestered them for me.
Been fine ever since.

--
Jack Bowling
mailto: jbinpg@xxxxxxx