Google
  Web www.spinics.net

RE: Which Firewall solutions

At 15:04 10/7/2003, you wrote:
IF the network computers are running Windows NT Platform (NT, 2000, XP,
or future releases) or Linux boxes, then the internal firewalls on each
computer can be activated and provide an additional firewall on the LAN
computers.  Same is true for the Internet boxes.  Close all ports but 80
or whatever is appropriate.

IMHO a machine's internal firewall code should always be activated... always. I apologize for not noting that more clearly, Buck; you are correct in that it can be done, and I believe that it is a useful additional layer of security. Whenever possible, one should also arrange to be notified (by something like tripwire) if the firewall rules are changed at any time.

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx