Re: Stupid Posting Question

Matthew Saltzman wrote:

> On Sun, 5 Oct 2003, Charlie McVeigh wrote:
>
> > I apologize in advance for my stupid question.

No need to - thank you for asking!

> > I receive the digest version of this list.  How do I respond to a
> > question or issue and still maintain the thread integrity of the
> > list? My responses in the past have tended to create a new thread
> > rather than adding to the existing thread.
>
> If you get the digest in MIME form, the individual messages are
> attached separately.  Many mail clients will allow you to view/reply
> to individual messages in such a digest.  (Pine does.)

Sadly not all MUAs do. And some mails from certain mailer software can
even break such a MIME digest. If the MIME digest works for you, fine!

If not, things get complicated. I do not know about Evolution (Charlie's
mailer), but some mailers like mine do add a reference into the header
of their messages if it's a reply. Such a header is usually unvisible
(but can be made visible) and looks like this:
Depending on the sender's mailer either Teferences or In-Reply-To is
used. The thing in the angled brackets is a message ID, unique for each
mail, which can be found in the headers as well. Your mailer will insert
the message ID of the message you reply to (plus all the reference
message IDs which are already in the message you are replying to). If
you receive a mail which contains reference(s), your mailer searches for
the original mails which had these references as their message ID, and
places the mail on the correct place in the thread. So, if you reply to
the digest, your reference if the message ID of the digest, and the
mailer won't find this message ID anywhere in the thread you replied to,
so it thinks it's a new thread, even if you have changed the subject to
be the same as the thread.

There are two possible solutions: If you have a mailer which allowed you
to edit the headers of the message you want to send, you can put in the
reference(s) from the mail you are replying to. I think mutt can do
that, but I never tried. Otherwise, compose a new message instead of
replying to the digest, copy the list email address, the subject of the
mail you want to reply to and the part of the mail you want to quote
over into the newly composed mail. This way your mail has no reference,
and most mailers will be smart enough to see it has the same subject
(the "Re: " in front is important!) than the thread, and just place it
into the top level of the thread. The same happens with mails from
mailers which refuse to use references. This way your mail isn't put at
the correct place of the thread, but it at least gets into the thread.

I hope my explanations are not too confusing... If so, please ask again,
and I will try to explain better.

> > Please no flames.
>
> Not at all.  Nice of you to be so concerned with the local
> nettiquette.

Absolutely! Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Martin Stricker