Re: Which Firewall solutions

On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 10:19:57AM -0400, Buck wrote:
> Your discussion is most welcome.  I take no offense.   Thank you for
> your input.
>
> I can understand where different people have adopted different
> definitions to DMZ, but it appears that the firewall industry uses the
> DMZ to refer those computers made available to the internet.  This is
> backed up by several books I have read on the issue.  I know this for a
> fact, you would not want to remove any internal firewall on your server
> and then connect it to any of the hardware firewalls I have using their
> DMZ, especially if its a Microsoft system. [snip]

This discussion is becoming circular. Buck, you are essentially saying
the same thing as Rodolfo: DMZs are where you stick internet-available
servers. Any border firewalls ahead of DMZs are usually there for
portforwarding purposes. DMZs by definition do not allow free access to
a topologically adjacent LAN. And DMZs themselves should only allow
access to as many ports as needed to allow traffic in, kill unnecessary
services, blah, blah.

--
Jack Bowling
mailto: jbinpg@xxxxxxx