RE: 3COM NIC speed limiter wanted

At 03:54 6-10-2003, you wrote:
This is a "stupid" question..

> I have a 3C905c NIC connected to a cable modem. The NIC of the cable-modem

> is 10Mbit. In autonegotiaton mode the 3c905c and the cable modem end up in

> a dead lock.
>
> Now I want to force the 3com card to switch to 10 Mbit/s.

So.. I believe your NIC is 10/100Mbit ? When connecting to the Cable modem
autonegotiation locks it up right? So.. you want to Force the NIC to

Not quite. At the start the NIC and cable modem do connect. And I get a link to the internet But after 24-48 hours a dead lock occures. From the people from the cable-company I got the advise to manually lock the speed of the 3com card to 10Mbit/s. This should maybe get a more stable link.

In the mean time I tried to pass the "options=0" parameter to the 3com NIC. The log tells me that it is 10baseT then. But in this situation I am not even able to get an ethernet link to the cable modem.

At the moment I am scratching my head and wonder if this is a speed issue or maybe an instable cable-modem. Next advise from the cable-people is to make sure the NIC is in half-duplex. I'll have a look at that right now.

koos.

_always_ be in 10MBit/s?

Did I get that right?

Cheers,
Mun Heng, Ow
H/M Engineering
Western Digital M'sia
DID : 03-7870 5168

-----Original Message----- From: Klaasjan Brand [mailto:kjb@xxxxxx] Sent: Sunday, October 05, 2003 4:18 PM To: shrike-list@xxxxxxxxxx Subject: Re: 3COM NIC speed limiter wanted

On Sat, 2003-10-04 at 20:12, A.J. Werkman wrote: > Hi, > > I have a 3C905c NIC connected to a cable modem. The NIC of the cable-modem

> is 10Mbit. In autonegotiaton mode the 3c905c and the cable modem end up in

> a dead lock.
>
> Now I want to force the 3com card to switch to 10 Mbit/s. From the
> vortex.txt file in the kernel docs I thought to read that I have to give
> the "option=0" parameter to the 3c59x module. But this doesn't seem to
slow
> down the 3com NIC.

Just checked since it's working for me: the correct parameter is
"options=0" (not "option")...

Klaasjan