From: shrike-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:shrike-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Rodolfo J. Paiz
Sent: Monday, October 06, 2003 5:24 AM
To: shrike-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Which Firewall solutions

DMZ is "demilitarized zone," a term IIRC created in the Vietnam War.
Means
an area where neither side goes freely and all traffic is watched. You
generally put servers in there, so NOTHING comes into your internal
network
and it is easier to secure: both your internal clients and the people
out
on the Internet connect to servers in the DMZ. The DMZ servers, in turn,
do
not need free access to the Internet so you can lock them down more
tightly, another improvement to security. This is the way I see it,
anyway;
it's not a texboot definition.

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz