Re: 802.11b Wireless PCMCIA Card Reccomendation Wanted

I know you suggested the Netgear card a while back, but I'm having a tough time finding it in stores now, and I also read that Netgear changed the chipset it uses for a similar card. I can't be sure whether it is the MA401 or the MA511.

Several times I've come close to buying the Netgear WG511 or WG511T, but I'm not sure what chipsets they use. What I ended up doing was buying an SMC2835W, which is a 54 Mbps card using the Intersil 3890 chipset. I found a driver for this, and I'm trying to install that on a Fedora Core /test2 machine. Having difficulty with it. I think one problem might be that I incorrectly set up a WEP key when I shouldn't have.

So I also want an 802.11b card that is plug and play because someone close to me does a lot of wireless networking and I want to be able to instant message that person quickly.

As to your other questions -- about 32 bit CardBus...I'm not sure. Only now, for the first time, am I seriously dabbling with PCMCIA cards in Linux.

Bob

Ow Mun Heng wrote:

I will repeat again... (I've actually done this a few times)

Netgear MA401 Works like a Charm. It's aPrism II Chipset. loades the
Orinico_cs drivers for Redhat 9.

It's a 16bit card.

Frankly, what's the difference between the 16bit and the 32 bit cards
anyway? it's 802.11b..11Mbps so.. unless you're getting the 802.11g 54mpbs
then maybe a 32bit is needed. (correct me if I'm wrong)

However, I think frequency hopping is not configurable.. anyone knows how to
see what channel the card's on?

I can manually set it using the redhat-config-network but everytime I
activate it it says.."Set Frequency not supported"

Cheers,
Mun Heng, Ow
H/M Engineering
Western Digital M'sia DID : 03-7870 5168

-----Original Message----- From: James Allman [mailto:james@xxxxxxxx] Sent: Monday, October 06, 2003 1:43 AM To: shrike-list@xxxxxxxxxx Subject: Re: 802.11b Wireless PCMCIA Card Reccomendation Wanted