Re: Starting terminal problem

Stephen Liu wrote:

Hi Joe,

As ROOT
# /etc/profile
-bash: /etc/profile: Permission denied

Well that sounds like a big problem - unless you did not successfully copy the line I typed. From what I can see, you omitted the period and space which should have been typed before each of the lines shown here.

If you did type "period, space, slash e t c slash b a s h r c" and got the "permission denied" error, then somebody has totally screwed up your file permissions and that's why non-root users get no environment settings since they can't even read the profile and bashrc.

# /etc/bashrc
-bash: /etc/bashrc: Permission denied

# . /etc/profile
# . /etc/bashrc
no response.
As USER, also no response.

It should have given you a standard prompt instead of "$" - so if the user can't read those files, he's hosed.

Did someone go through your system and try to make it "secure" for you?

Joe