Why Cannot Shrike Server See Shrike Notebook?

Just upgraded my desktop from RH8 to RH9 using a recent set of KRUD
disks.

I selected the Server option for setting up Shrike on my desktop since I
need to network my Shrike notebook and the children's two M$ desktops
(haven't had time to test their learning games under WINE yet).

Not only can I not see my second hdd (hdb) on the desktop, I also cannot
network to my notebook (the notebook networks fine with the M$ network
at work, so I know that the internal nic is OK).

Two Questions:

1. Where in the generic Server setup of my shrike desktop should I look
first to discover why I cannot see the second hdd?  (BIOS sees it, as
does the gui Hardware Browser).

2.  Where in the generic Server setup of my shrike desktop should I look
first to discover why I cannot see my shrike notebook?  (I is connected
to the Server desktop via a 5-port Ethernet auto-sensing switch -- when
I Activate the notebook nic it cannot find an IP -- the notebook is set
for DHCP).

Thanks!  doc