Re: Just some redhat musings

This snippet:
>> One example: You can download all the source RPMs of RHEL
>> *for free*, compile them yourself, burn them onto CD and
>> *sell* these CDs!

This is (IIUC) what PinkTie does with RHL today,
I guess my main question is whether this will be done with RHEL
when "Red Fedora" gets to release stage and RHL ceases.

This last paragraph, especially the point of the cost to me to validate
an upgrade or patch to the kernel I inflict on my victims (err... release to my customers) quotes my main concern.

Brian Brunner
brian.t.brunner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(610)796-5838

>>> shugal@xxxxxx 10/02/03 09:02PM >>>

What some persons on this list (myself included) are complaining about
is this: With RHL until 7.3 you got a very stable distro and updates for
a long period of time for a very affordable price. This made RHL very
attractive for small businesses and simple servers. With the
discontinuation of RHL this part of the market is no longer supported by
Red Hat, instead I would have to go either for Fedora Core (free of
charge, but only 9 months of updates - I need at least the double time,
better more - and the software may not be as stable and tested as I'm
used to) which is fine for home users. Currently Red Hat's product portfolio is missing a
mid-priced and mid-supported distro, which before was RHL. I need a very
stable distro for my servers, and I cannot reinstall (and validate! a
two-month procedure!) every half a year. So Fedora Core is not an option
for me. RHEL would be nice, but is too expensive (and provides more
support than I need). Either Red Hat gets out a mid-range product
*soon*, or I need to switch my servers to another OS.

Best regards,
Martin Stricker

the system manager.

for the presence of computer viruses.