Re: sendmail issues resolving certain domains

On Thursday, October 2, 2003, at 02:01 PM, Wiley Wimberly wrote:

I have noticed an issue where sendmail can not resolve a domain even though I can dig for it from the same machine.

Some example domains that exhibit this behavior:
okdhs.org
homesspringfield.com
langstongroup.com
republicford.com

I am running the following versions:

bind-9.2.1-16
sendmail-8.12.8-9.90

Any ideas? This is causing problems for our customers and I am beating my head against the wall trying to figure out what is wrong. I recently switched to rh9 from rh7.3 and this issue didn't happen on the old servers.

looks like it is a problem with sendmail doing ipv6 AAAA lookups

I added the following to sendmail.mc, rebuilt sendmail.cf, and restarted sendmail.

dnl Some broken nameservers will return SERVFAIL (a temporary failure)
dnl on T_AAAA (IPv6) lookups.
define(`confBIND_OPTS', `WorkAroundBrokenAAAA')dnl

The problem seems to be fixed.

The following urls lead to threads with more info.

http://www.monkey.org/openbsd/archive/misc/0208/msg00483.html
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=bind9-users&m=101439115705519&w=2