Re: File Server irritants (newbie)

Buck 提到:

> I don't know if I am misunderstanding you or you are misunderstanding
> me.  You come across as if you believe that I don't want the users to
> log in from their own computers.  That isn't the case.  Their usernames
> and passwords are syncronized on the server and the workstations.  When
> they log in on the workstations, that logs them into the server
> transparantly.  My problem has been that the server sat on a table in an
> open public area.  The employees on the workstations gave their
> passwords out as freely as a resteraunt gives party mints.  Employees
> that have no computers or access give the passwords to their kids and
> let the kids free on the computers or they use the workstations to surf
> the web, porn sites, etc.  The server is a Windows 2000 Pro computer and
> I have it set up so that only the administrator can log into the server
> computer from the server location.  Users can't.

Yes, That is what I'm saying.
Just change one or two test user on the server password files to false
or nologin then have a try on the server.

This *will not* prevent your user login using samba on the workstation.
(As that is actually different then Login on linux.).

> I setup an open workstation with guest priviliges so that family and
> non-workstation employees had a computer to work on and it quickly
> became known and the "porno shop", a name that sticks with it today even
> tho it is someone's workstation now.  Every employee has a key to the
> door and come and go all hours of the night and day.  One even left a
> total stranger alone in the building thinking she had her own key.
> When it comes to security, this place makes a security nightmare look
> like Sunday afternoon walk.

I do suggest you have a proxy server setup and control the web access
over the server.

If you really want to make the client to be "Guest" login only check on
the LDAP Auth Guide, Which you can actually control which host can a
user login from and which host cannot.

Or Even More Stronger Way, Split this Workstation into another subnet
Mask and then Do a routing on the server. Have the samba configure so
that This Workstation will be restricted.

More information look on smb.conf host allow, host deny

BTW, I'm not sure what is this open workstation is for, just give me
some clear Idea what this "guy" is working I might have some better idea.

> If I understand you correctly, in the linux box, if I do as you say, not
> even root will be able to log into the server except through a remote
> computer.

Just change the user right Not the Root.
Using Pam will actually do the samethings, IF
1) All user is under one group (which is restricted (nologin) on the server)
2) Pam is setup up correctly (have a look on the ftp setup on the pam.d
dir it have the good example)

> My terminology has much to be desired, I know.  I am thinking now it
> would be better understood if I said I want to block all users except
> for administration from logging in locally.  I would like to log in
> locally or remotely from another linux box.  I will be the only one with
> a linux box to log in thru SSH.

I know pamd seem to be hard for a new user, but trust me, once you get
know it, you will love it. have a look on the /etc/pam.d/ftp to see how
ftp user is restricted.

> I am not familiar with the "Virtual terminal" but I understand enough
> about pam to know its related to some kind of password security.  I
> haven't gotten that far in my learning yet.
>
> I say that security is a nightmare, I really can't be worse that what
> some of you have to put up with when MS supported worms get loose.  I
> know there has been a  lot of that in the last year.  My real problem is
> that it is my responsibility to keep the system running and yet too many
> employees don't take it serious.  I could make a lot more money letting
> the employees do what they want and constantly clean up behind them like
> I had to several years ago, but I like to sleep when I go to bed.  Two
> weeks ago, the employee on the most critical workstation in the company
> told me she appreciated having a reliable computer.

This is what I do to prevnet things get worst, Get a Proxy server to
work and No Direct internet access from Client.

If the network have somehow label with "Public" Or "Private" use, Split
them up with subnet Mask. So that Public PC cannot use Private user
username and password. Where it is same for the Private use.

LDAP user Auth Might be a Very good for this host Restrictation, so that
user can only login through the allow hosts.

Anyway, there are still a few things need to be know, Pam support in
Samba use plain text password, and LDAP support on samba 2.2.x is not
that strong. But don't worry, the only problem you get when using LDAP
Auth is that, user wouldn't be able to change their own password in the
Control Panel (I haven't got a clue on a easy way to do that yet)

Just setup LDAP Auth and get the nsswitch.conf ready, then get the Host
restrictation ready, you will not need to change the samba configuration
 much for that. And it will RUN :).

Thank You
Chan Min Wai