Re: How to Edit the Gnome Screen Saver?

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003, John Haxby wrote:

> Iain Buchanan wrote:
>
> >Just don't mention that you have lots of daemons running in the
> >background :)
> >

> Sigh.    It's from "Disk And Execution MONitor".   Look it up an online
> dictionary.   Unless you're not allowed to look up potentially bad words :-)

When looking up etymology of technical terms online, not just any
dicionary will do.  From the Jargon File
(http://catb.org/esr/jargon/html/):

daemon: /daymn/, /deemn/, n.

    [from Maxwell's Demon, later incorrectly retronymed as Disk And
Execution MONitor] A program that is not invoked explicitly, but lies
dormant waiting for some condition(s) to occur. The idea is that the
perpetrator of the condition need not be aware that a daemon is lurking
(though often a program will commit an action only because it knows that
it will implicitly invoke a daemon). For example, under ITS, writing a
file on the LPT spooler's directory would invoke the spooling daemon,
which would then print the file. The advantage is that programs wanting
(in this example) files printed need neither compete for access to nor
understand any idiosyncrasies of the LPT. They simply enter their implicit
requests and let the daemon decide what to do with them. Daemons are
usually spawned automatically by the system, and may either live forever
or be regenerated at intervals.

    Daemon and demon are often used interchangeably, but seem to have
distinct connotations. The term daemon was introduced to computing by CTSS
people (who pronounced it /deemon/) and used it to refer to what ITS
called a dragon; the prototype was a program called DAEMON that
automatically made tape backups of the file system. Although the meaning
and the pronunciation have drifted, we think this glossary reflects
current (2000) usage.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences