Re: 2 NIC and traffic on the wrong interface

John Haxby wrote:

Steven Moix wrote:

I'm surprised that it works at all -- except that I know that the routing stuff occasionally seems sentient :-) If you put eth0 and eth1 on separate networks, e.g. 192.168.1.100/24 and 192.168.2.100/24 (and change other machines correspondingly) then it should all work properly as their won't be any routing ambiguities.

I was surprised too, but it works...the problem is that it needs to be on the same network :/

Ok, I investigated a bit further...in fact all the traffic for eth0 is redirected to eth1! Where can I change this?
I tried this by pinging with a large packet size. I can ping 192.168.1.100 (eth1) and 192.168.1.200 (eth0) and the traffic on eth0 isn't increasing, but the traffic on eth1 is the sum of the 2 interfaces :-/

Well, it's behaving as advertised then. Given a choice of two equally good routes to use, the routing algorithm is using one of them. You don't get much influence over which one -- at least I never do :-)

You say you need them to be on the same network -- is this that you need them to be on the same physical network or the same logical network. If you need them to be on the same physical network then you can quite cheerfully run multiple logical networks on one physical network (I do it all the time). If you need a single logical network on two physical networks then I think you're out of luck -- you can use two NICs and two networks to increase bandwidth, but even then I think you have two distinct logical networks as well as two distinct physical networks. Must go and read TCP/IP books though ...

jch

They need to be on the same logical network...I found that it is a routing problem..I'm playing with it.