Re: BASH Guru needed

Thanks Gordon & Norman

I guess I lack imagination. It never dawned on me to redirect.

I thought about a new process being created, but dismissed that because I mistakenly thought that since j kept its value inside what might be the new process, then that meant it couldn't be a new process since I was expecting that new process to get a new j with a value of 0. That was my mistake. Thanks for explaining it.

Now maybe you could explain one other thing that I can't seem to wrap my brain around.

If I can write
   RULEZ[i++]="$x"
and i gets incremented, why can't I write
   i++
free standing to increment i? What rule am I violating? The error is "command not found", but then RULEZ[i++]="$x" isn't a "command" either.
I've tried
     : ++i
and that's ignored even though : is the null operator.

How many different ways do you know of to write a statement to just increment a variable by 1 or 2?

Bill Gradwohl
(817) 224-9400 x211
www.ycc.com
SPAMstomper Protected Email