Re: SATA problems

On Tuesday 23 September 2003 18:56, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> Pls explain more on this. what does lower power consumption have got
> to do with higher density & safely? Cabling system I understand.
> Better airflow too!!

Lower power means less drain on the powersupply, and less heat
generated.  Thus you can pack more drives into a single unit w/out
stressing the powersupply and the cooling measures.

> BTW what's PATA?

Parallel ATA, what is thought of as the normal IDE interface.

> ATA150, yeah.. I know of that... but right now, Hard Drives in
> manufacture are all ATA100, I've not seen a lot of ATA133, not to say
> ATA150!!?? Maybe not now...

They won't be listed as ATA150.  They're listed as SATA.  SATA1, which
is currently available, is the equivalent to ATA150.  SATA2, due out in
a year(?), is supposed to be equal to ATA300, 2x the speed of SATA1.

> I'm going to hang on to my home-brew linux RH8 departmental server
> with 3x 200GB IDE Drives on PII 300.
>
> my 2 cents

Nod.  SATA isn't for everybody, and if you've got a working system,
there isn't much need to go and disturb it with new hardware.  For new
system purchases though, it's something to consider, especially when
using them with 3ware cards (Linux supported) for high density hardware
raid.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE
http://geek.j2solutions.net