BigBrother and Redhat 9 - Memory leak?

	While I'm in this rare mood of delurking, I'd thought I'd also bring
to the table the issue from the BigBrother list that has yet to find a
solution beyond "Compile a custom kernel" and "downgrade to 8" ...
	BigBrother servers (BBDISPLAY, BBNET, BBPAGER) running on a Redhat
box seem to chew up quite a bit of memory.  What's worse, even after all
BigBrother processes are killed off, the memory is not released; it seems
the only way to get the box back to a working state is to reboot.
	The first clue for most of us that something's up is BigBrother
reporting a high CPU - which isn't so much a high CPU as it is a high load,
brought on by the disappearing memory and the increasing swap.  At a
particular point, the box starts swapping constantly.  The box was running
perfectly for a month before BigBrother was put on it.

	This behavior is with Redhat 9, stock updated kernel (2.4.20-20.9).
On a 128 MB box, I'm getting a 6 day runtime.  The solutions that have been
attempted are in line with:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/release-notes/x86/ :
----------------------------
If an application does not work properly with NPTL, it can be run using the
old LinuxThreads implementation by setting the following environment
variable:

LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=<kernel-version>

The following versions are available:

- 2.4.1  Linuxthreads with floating stacks

- 2.2.5  Linuxthreads without floating stacks

NPTL support for all dynamically-linked applications can be disabled by
using the following boot-time option:

nosysinfo
-----------------------------
	None have provided a significant change in behavior for me.

	Someone more knowledgable than I suggested that since the memory is
not freed when the process is killed, the blame may actually lie with the
kernel (which is also indicated by the fact that compiling a custom kernel
also seems to make this issue disappear).
	Any ideas beyond compiling a stock kernel or downgrading?  The folks
at BigBrother are a bit stubborn since they've had a version of BB since
October 2002 that hasn't required patching and is running fine everywhere
else - and this is the free version we're talking about.  So if they can
point the finger elsewhere, they will ...

Eric Stewart - Network Admin, USF Tampa Campus Library - eric@xxxxxxxxxxx
Managing sysadmins is like leading a neighborhood gang of neurotic pumas on
       jet-powered hoverbikes with nasty smack habits and opposable thumbs.
       - Feen, Benjy: Pumas on Hoverbikes: Sysadmin Management,
       http://www.monkeybagel.com/pumas.html